Jude Hardin

Author, Drummer, Turtle Whisperer

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Cricket

This is a true story. I'm not exactly sure how to interpret it, but I promise that it really did happen.


 On my way to make a pot of coffee one morning, I nearly stepped on a cricket. It had somehow gotten through the garage door during the night, and now rested on a square of ceramic tile in my kitchen, its antennae twitching nervously and its glassy little eyes gleaming in the overhead fluorescent.

I stared at it for a few seconds, trying to decide what to do. I couldn’t just leave it where it was and hope that it somehow found its way outside. Not an option.

Finally, I tore a paper towel from the roll on the counter, picked the cricket up and carried it to the back of the house. I opened the door and gently placed it on the patio.

“There,” I said. “You’re free!”

But before I turned to walk away, a lizard darted from under the barbecue grill, gobbled the cricket up and swallowed it whole.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jude Hardin said...

:)

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Merrill Heath said...

Such a touching story. Thanks for sharing. ;-)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jude Hardin said...

Such a touching story.

I know. Not exactly a happy ending, except for the lizard.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Scott said...

I probably would have flushed the little...pest. Then he'd never keep me up at night again, with his incessant chirping (until I walk into the room he's hiding in, of course...). At least the lizard took care of that for you...:-)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Jude Hardin said...

Then he'd never keep me up at night again, with his incessant chirping

There was one that liked to park right outside my bedroom window every night for a while. Drove me nuts!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home